How to Make Mushroom Fried Rice
Mushroom fried rice is one of the greatest culinary inventions, like ever! Well, fried rice definitely is. I love its versatility. I love mushrooms probably just as much as I love rice! I go through frequent phases of heavy rice eating. I think I have my grandmother to thank for that. Growing up, I enjoyed many dishes with her perfect rice. Her fried rice is so good that, when I’m lucky to receive a batch, I can eat it 3 times a day for 3 days straight!
Mushroom Fried Rice Ingredients
I have mastered my own version of my grandmother’s fried rice in my later years, but I always reference the memory of her recipe for my list of ingredients! You only really need mushrooms, rice, garlic, and soy sauce for basic mushroom fried rice. Substitute any of the additional ingredients according to your preference!
- White rice
- White button mushrooms (or another kind, I love using all sorts!)
- Soy sauce
- Finely chopped celery
- Spring onions (maybe a pinch of diced sweet onion, too)
- Bacon (if you’ve never added crispy bacon to your fried rice at the end of cooking, you’re seriously missing out)
You know, it’s been about a month since my last fried rice kick and the idea of making mushroom fried rice is really sounding good again…
How to Make Mushroom Heaven
Now that temptation is calling (rather, lying in front of you), let’s get to cookin’!
If you have good leftover rice, now is the perfect time to use it! If not, prepare some by using a rice cooker or boiling it.
- In a skillet (or wok, for even better results), heat the onions and oil over medium-high heat. I like to add a thin slice of butter.
- Cook the bacon at this point, crispy will add a wonderful crunch. Set to the side until the end.
- Add your prepared rice, garlic, celery, and mushrooms to the skillet or wok as soon as it’s hot.
- *optional; you can saute your vegetables together before introducing them to the rice and soy sauce. I like to do this often times, but many enjoy a crispier fungus for their mushroom fried rice.
- Stir in soy sauce to taste. Continue stirring frequently, the rice will be wet until the heat dries out the ingredients.
- This is one dish you can, and should, serve fairly hot! But before you do, crumble the bacon and sprinkle it on top!
Some like to leave the green onions and celery out until the end to serve as more of a garnish than an addition to the rice. If that’s the case, you’ll enjoy crispy celery and can easily omit my bacon step! Anyone that knows me knows I love and usually must have scrambled eggs in my fried rice. The only reason I’m not preaching to add any eggs to the mushroom fried rice is because the ‘shrooms will provide a similar textural effect! I hope you’ve found a new favorite rice dish! Enjoy!