Sparkling Wine Cocktails
Have you been yearning to try some sparkling wine cocktails, but have no idea what to order? Or, perhaps, do you want to make your own and have no idea where to start? Let’s learn a few things about sparkling wine before we stain our toes or run to the liquor and spirits store!
Fun Facts about Sparkling Wine
First of all, I want to bring something to everyone’s attention. I, until just now, thought wine and champagne were worlds apart. You couldn’t convince me they were similar. I can’t be labeled entirely foolish because I’d always heard that you either like champagne or you like wine! Don’t shame me too much, because I’m still new to the world of wine. (I only have four legal drinking years under my belt!)
I finally found out, while researching information for this post, that champagne can only rightfully be classified as such if it was bottled in Champagne, France! Isn’t that neat? Champagne is actually sparkling wine! Generally, you can only successfully make champagne with Pinot Meunier, Pinot Noir, and Chardonnay wines. I thought that was pretty cool!
Now, for something a little more interesting. Have you ever wondered how or why sparkling wine is fizzy? I assumed they filled the bottles with carbonation before sealing them. I was wrong, as usual! A lot of sparkling wines get their carbonation from natural fermentation and carbon dioxide. So, when we enjoy sparkling wine and sparkling wine cocktails, we’re essentially enjoying flavorful and aromatic “cuts of cheese” from the tiny little organisms (bacteria) in everything we know! Gross, but cool.
Names of Sparkling Wine Cocktails
I’m sure there are tons and tons of names and lists of different sparkling wine cocktails available all over the world! But to save a bit of time, I searched through two different websites and found some of the more interesting ones. Their names and ingredients interested me, and I can’t wait to try some of these recipes out or order some of these when I go out!
- Blood Orange-Rosemary Fizz
- Cinque Terre
- Hat Trick
- Lush – I’d heard of this as a little girl and was intrigued by the name. After seeing recipes and pictures, I must try this one at some point!
- Red Velvet – I want to try almost anything with “red velvet” in its name.
- Lady Irish – I love seafood, and I hear this sparkling wine cocktail goes great with it!
- Kill Devil Punch – I can only imagine what a drink with this name must taste like.
- Campari-Fennel Aperitif – (apparently aperitifs are supposed to get you ready to eat good food!)
- Prosecco-Saba Cocktail
- Champagne Mojitos and Mimosas – Yum.
- Iced Tea Italiano – As someone who isn’t too fond of LITs, this sounds like a perfect alternative.
- Red Ribbon – A very orangy choice.
- Port of Call
- Golden Ring – includes white wine and a light citrus mix. This one is high on my list.
- Pear Tree – I’m going to try this one first because I love pear and it sounds incredible!
- Tea Topper
- Sugar, Sugar
- Long Winter Snap
- Holiday Pom-Pom
- Ball Drop
- White Christmas – with mint leaves and pink peppercorns, it really looks like a Christmas drink!