Yams Recipe (Sweet and Simple)
Yams here in the U.S. are actually just sweet potatoes, for the most part. Our climate is acceptable for growth of sweet potatoes in America and we have to import “real” yams. Anyway, we generally tend to think of the holidays and desserts when we hear the word yam over here. That’s why my chosen yams recipe is a simple, candied one. I will also briefly discuss a dessert dish you can prepare with a true yam later on.
Big Differences Between Yams and Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes are usually sweet (well, of course!) and easy to peel. Also, they’re typically slightly wet internally.
- Yams are usually dry inside and more like an actual potato in taste. They’re a bit harder to peel as well.
By now, you may know how I like to, for the most part, keep a lot of things simple. That being said, I do like to keep my recipes basic so that anyone can easily grasp the concept and expand further on it so as to please their own palate perfectly. I don’t always give measurements for this purpose, too.
Now that we know that, we can gather our American yams and get to cookin’.
Candied Yams Recipe:
The ingredients needed are yams, water, salt, butter, and brown sugar.
If you’d prefer a healthier alternative, substitute the salt, butter, and sugar. If not, let’s continue!
- Put those yummy yams in a saucepan with water and boil. No need for a measuring cup, just don’t put more water in than necessary to cover the top of the yams for ideal results.
- Prepare your other ingredients to make the glaze (which is what really make them candied).
- When the water is boiling, turn down the heat to a low setting and cover those yams up.
- When the yams are tender, drain and skin them. Cut them up however you’d like and set them aside.
- Get out a skillet and warm the other ingredients over medium heat.
- Stir obsessively until it’s smooth and kind of bubbles, then add your yams and stir a little more.
- Let cool; enjoy.
In Case You Were Still Curious…
If you wanted to make a dessert with “real” yams, there’s an awesome recipe available for yam ice cream. It only requires a yam, creme fraiche, and condensed milk! It requires a lot more steps but is readily available online. Thanks again for creating dishes with us!